If you have been using a blogger blog for a while or you are just starting a new one, I think it’s time to move on. You need to change that ugly default URL that looks like yourblogname.blogspot.com today. It’s not only ugly but there are so many reasons I think you must go ahead and change that URL that keeps promoting the blogspot brand rather than yours. If you are just thinking of starting a blog, SEE THIS.
Some of the reasons you must change that .blogspot URL include but are not limited to:
1. It is usually too long. The blogspot alone is 8 characters and you might even be forced to take a long name with that because all the names have been taken already. Too bad!
2. The URL does not look professional and people will just look it as just one of those free blogs from blogger. Having your own domain gives an impression that you have done some level of work and made some investments. Removes you from the class of cheap bloggers.
4. You should get your own domain name because, you need to promote your own brand. If you have a .blogspot.com blog, you are just promoting Google Blogger. By getting your own domain, you’ll be promoting your own unique brand. It gives you credibility and more people will trust you and what you have to offer. I’d never buy anything from a site with a blogpost address.
5. You can get your own custom email (eg: email@example.com). It looks very professional and you can’t get that from a blogspot address. Even Google requires that you have an email on your domain if you want to Show Your Photo and Other Information in Google Search Results.
So, to change your url, you have several options of getting a domain registrars.
I will share those that I’ve worked with and are credible enough that I recommend them.
1. HOSTGATOR HOSTING: if you have a credit card means of payment, you can choose this but if you want to pay in Naira here in Nigeria, option 2 is for you
2. GOSSIMER DOMAIN: with this registrar, you can register your custom domain with your liberty reserve account.
I recommend this 2 registrars because they give you full DNS control over your Domain Account.
I’ll be using Gossimer control panel for this tutorial since it is what most Nigerians opt for. I’ve used it for many people I’ve helped out in the past.
Go to any of the recommended sites and purchase your domain and follow these simple steps to configure your DNS (Domain Name System) for your blogspot address and get you custom domain url:
Contrary to what many people think before seeing this tutorial, it is not a difficult step, you don’t have to be a web guru. It’s not like rocket science.
These procedure assumes you have bought you domain account.
1. Login to your Domain Account provided by the registrar.
2. Click on the DNS tab
Actvate the DNS servise with the touch of a button.
3. After activation, click manage DNS
4. Now click “A records” and add a new A Record
5. Now under the name or value, leave it blank and set destination IPv4 address to 188.8.131.52 then Save.
6. Click on the CNAME Records
(Note again that this tutorial assumes you are using Gossimer)
Now, we go to your Blogger Account Dashboard.
1. Log on to your blogger account, in the dashboard, click on “Settings“
2. Click on “Publishing” and click on “Advanced”.
3. Enter your full domain name, including the “www” prefix.
The Change of this DNS record normally takes less than a couple of Hours with Hostgator but can last up to 24-48 hours with Gossimer.
You have your new Custom Domain now.
If at the end of this guide you still can’t work this out or you simply like giving the techie stuffs out, you can CONTACT US with email form or call 08064453380 to get this done for you. I do it once in a while too when I don’t have time for some things on my site, I pay people to get it done. If you also wish to use hostgator, contact us.
Don't keep this to yourself, Share it with your friends with the Buttons below.